1. Place something suitable under the leak to catch the water
  2. Isolate the water supply (normally at stop tap outside the property), but in some instances there could be a service valve under the toilet/sink/bath which can be closed and the main service switched back on.
  3. Remove all items from the affected area.
  4. If the electricity has tripped due to water ingress in the circuits do not try to reset but report to the Fault Reporting Service samsaccommodation.co.uk or the Emergency out of Hours Service.
  5. If the water leak is outside the property telephone South West Water 0344 346 2020.