New changes for HMO’s

New rules for HMO's

This year, new changes are planned regarding HMO Licenced properties and further mandatory Licencing.

So let’s recap, what is an HMO and what is a Licenced HMO? What is the difference?

An HMO is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 household (e.g. a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. This is your typical professional house share or student let.

At present only 3 storey properties with 5 or more bedrooms are required to be licenced, and a Licence is valid for 5 years. Every year the Local Authority has to be sent new updated certificates, e.g. gas safety certificate.

The planned change is that all properties housing 5 or more sharers not from 1 household will need to apply for Licencing, even if it is only a 1 or 2 storey property.

For most student Landlords this will be very unwelcome news as most Victorian terraced properties easily fall into this category and although Local Authorities do not seem to have the manpower or resources available to deal with these applications, it is assumed it will be dealt with as originally introduced, where Licences were issued but follow up visits did not happen for several years.

If one wanted to be cynical, we all know how short of cash the Local Authorities are and as Licences are £500+ per property, the income will be very welcomed!

No details regarding the timing of this have yet been released but as soon as we know, we will publish the details.